Dear State Library Agencies – Library Development Interest Group Members,
Thank you for your patience as ALA and the ASGCLA staff and Board have developed processes for creating a new home for the State Library Agency – Library Development Interest Group within the Chapter Relations Office (CRO) of ALA beginning September 1, 2020.
Within the Chapter Relations Office, Interest Groups are a new feature. Director Michael Dowling, firstname.lastname@example.org and Program Officer Mariel Colbert, email@example.com are pleased to work with leaders and members of the Interest Group to facilitate meetings and projects for the group.
Here is what you can expect:
- ALA and division membership: The change from the ASGCLA division to the Chapter Relations Office will happen automatically. Your ALA membership will stay on the same renewal schedule, however there are no division dues associated with the Chapter Relation Office. If you have questions about your membership, the Interest Groups included in your membership, or other member groups within ALA, contact ALA Member Relations & Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1.800.545.2433 (international callers, use 1.312.944.6780).
- Interest Group Leadership: The leader(s) of the Interest Group will remain the same. Each interest group will follow its procedures to select leadership and leadership terms.
- Connect Group: The ASGCLA State Library Agency - Library Development Interest Group (and all current members) will be moved as a Connect Community and renamed State Library Agency -Library Development. After September 1, members may go directly to the Connect community to join or leave the group. It will no longer be necessary to add the Interest Group to your ALA member record.
- Listserv: ALA listservs are gradually being phased out. We are in the process of communicating with the interest group leaders to determine the usefulness of the ALA listservs for the interest groups before deciding whether to retire or to rename and transfer ASGCLA-Lib-Dev@lists.ala.org.
- Meetings and Conference events: To schedule virtual or in-person meetings, the best first contact for questions and information is Mariel Colbert, Program Officer, Chapter Relations Office, email@example.com.
- Publicity and Announcements: The best first contact for questions and information is Mariel Colbert, Program Officer, Chapter Relations Office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
More about the ALA Chapter Relations Office: The Chapter Relations Office web page, http://www.ala.org/aboutala/offices/cro/, offers a detailed overview of the current directories, activities, and resources. The CRO-Answers page, http://www.ala.org/aboutala/offices/cro-answers, and CRO-Resources page, http://www.ala.org/aboutala/cro-resources ,provide quick links to topical information. Mariel Colbert, Program Officer, Chapter Relations Office, email@example.com, will work with the State Libraries interest groups to develop headings and resources for interest group members and for ALA members to contact and work with state libraries.
- Contact Chapter Relations Office Staff: The best first contact for questions and information is Mariel Colbert, Program Officer, Chapter Relations Office, firstname.lastname@example.org.