Dear Consumer Health Information Librarians Interest Group Members,
Thank you for your patience as ALA and the ASGCLA staff and Board have developed processes for creating a new home for the Consumer Health Information Librarians Interest Group within ALA with the support of the Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services (ODLOS), beginning September 1, 2020.
For ALA, Communities of Interest are a new member engagement opportunity. The Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services uses a social justice framework to approach issues of equity, diversity, inclusion, literacy, and outreach. The ODLOS team is pleased to work with you as leaders and members in support of our aligned missions. Team members are:
- RUSA/ODLOS Membership and Programs Specialist Shuntai Sykes, firstname.lastname@example.org,
- ODLOS Interim Director Kristin Lahurd, email@example.com,
- ODLOS Assistant Director for Recruitment and Retention Gwendolyn Prellwitz, firstname.lastname@example.org,
- ODLOS Outreach and Communications Program Officer Amber Hayes, email@example.com,
Here is what you can expect:
- ALA and division membership: The dissolution of ASGCLA removes the division from your membership. This will happen automatically. Your ALA membership will stay on the same renewal schedule, however there are no division dues associated with ODLOS’s support for your Community of Interest. If you have questions about your membership, and member groups within ALA, contact ALA Member Relations & Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1.800.545.2433 (international callers, use 1.312.944.6780).
- Community of Interest (formerly ASGCLA Interest Group) Leadership: The leader(s) of the Community of Interest will remain the same. For the immediate future, each group will follow its current procedures to select leadership and leadership terms.
- Connect Group: The ASGCLA Consumer Health Information Librarians Interest Group (and all current members) will be moved as a Connect Community and renamed Consumer Health Information Librarians. After September 1, it will no longer be necessary to include the Interest Group to your ALA membership renewal.
- Listserv: ALA listservs are gradually being phased out. During the next month, Interest Group leaders will be contacted by ALA staff to explore options for the ASGCLA-Consumer-Health@lists.ala.org, such as expanding membership in the ALA Connect Community of Interest. As the listserv is retired in late fall, past messages will be archived. Interest Group leadership can request that these past messages be migrated to the Connect group.
- Meetings and Conference events: To schedule virtual or in-person meetings, the best first contact for questions and information is Shuntai Sykes, RUSA/ODLOS Membership and Programs Specialist, email@example.com.
- Publicity and Announcements: The best first contact for questions and information is Shuntai Sykes, RUSA/ODLOS Membership and Programs Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact ODLOS: The best first contact for questions and information is Shuntai Sykes, RUSA/ODLOS Membership and Programs Specialist, email@example.com.
More about the Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services: The ODLOS web page, http://www.ala.org/aboutala/offices/diversity offers a detailed overview of the mission, initiatives, and resources. The Equity Diversity and Inclusion page includes resources and partners for EDI initiatives, http://www.ala.org/aboutala/offices/diversity/edi. The Outreach Initiatives includes Toolkits for best practices and outreach programs http://www.ala.org/aboutala/offices/diversity/initiatives. Interest Group leaders can work with Shuntai Sykes, RUSA/ODLOS Membership and Programs Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org to identify and transfer resources developed in ASGCLA. For new resources consider these ways to get involved: